The ACCC is urging all small businesses to protect their information when using digital and online tools. False billing and phishing scams are the most commonly reported scams.
Five simple steps to avoid scams
- Inform and educate your staff members about scams (such as by forwarding this email and subscribing to Scamwatch email alerts and following @Scamwatch_gov on Twitter).
- Have clear processes in place for verifying and paying accounts, and make sure all staff know about them.
- Ensure your systems have up-to-date anti-virus software.
- Consider what business information you post on social media and networking sites, as scammers use publicly available information to target businesses.
- Back up your data regularly and store your backups offsite and offline. The Australian Cyber Security Centre explains how your business can back up your data.
The ACCC’s Scamwatch website has up-to-date information about scams and how to get help if you have been impacted by a scam.