Master Builders respects its obligations to protect the privacy of the personal and/or sensitive information of the individuals it deals with, in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) of the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act).
What personal and sensitive information does Master Builders collect and hold?
Master Builders only collects personal information (i.e. information which could reasonably identify an individual) that is reasonably necessary for its services, functions and activities, or where is otherwise required or permitted to be collected by law.
Master Builders collects personal information including names, addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, other contact details including next of kin and referees, payment details, occupation details, employer details and other information. Where photographs or videos are taken of individuals, Master Builders will, so far as is reasonably practicable, seek individual’s consent.
Master Builders only collects sensitive information (e.g. information about an individual’s race, ethnic origin, political opinions or association, trade or professional associations and memberships, union membership, criminal record or health information) if the individual has consented to us doing so and it is reasonably necessary for our services, functions and activities, or where is otherwise required or permitted by law.
Master Builders collects sensitive information including information about food allergies or other health information, union or professional association membership, political opinions and criminal records.
How and from whom does Master Builders collect personal information?
Master Builders only collects personal information by lawful and fair means.
Wherever reasonable and practicable, Master Builders collects personal information from the individual to whom the information relates or their authorised representative. This is typically as a result of, and in connection with, our on-going business relationship and/or membership association with those individuals.
We collect personal information in circumstances including, but not limited to, when individuals:
- request or acquire a product or service from us;
- provide a service or product to us;
- apply for employment with us;
- communicate with us via our website, e-mail, mail, facsimile or telephone;
- attend face-to-face meetings and interviews with us;
- provide a business card; or
- fill out forms/pre-fill forms.
We may also collect personal information through:
- cookies, IP addresses and session tokens. This software on our website and servers stores information and enables our website to recognise individuals’ web browsers and remember certain information to assist individuals’ future use of our website. Your IP address may also be stored as an additional security measure and may be used to identify you; and
- recording information individuals give us, e.g. if we record telephone conversations with individuals for training and monitoring purposes (we will only do this with individuals’ consent when they call us, and individuals will have the option to opt out of recording).
We sometimes engage third parties or use a publicly available source to collect personal information, but only if it is unreasonable or impracticable to collect that personal information from the individual or it is necessary for training purposes or to market Master Builders’ products and services.
Why do we collect the personal information?
We collect personal information where it is necessary to:
- provide individuals with the products and services;
- provide individuals with information about products and services that may be of interest to them;
- improve the products and services we provide; and
- enable us to conduct our business, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations.
Generally we will tell individuals why we are collecting the information, prior to or when we collect it.
If individuals do not provide their personal information, we may not be able to supply the requested product or service, employ or otherwise deal with the individual.
Unsolicited personal information
If we receive personal information that we have not requested and we determine that we could not have lawfully collected that information under the APPs had we asked for it, we will destroy or de-identify the information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
USE AND DISCLOSURE
Master Builders uses personal information:
- in the ordinary course of conducting our business. For example, supplying or acquiring products and services; responding to individuals’ enquiries and feedback; providing information about our events, news, publications and products and services that may be of interest to individuals; and maintaining a relationship with individuals;
- determining members and potential members’ eligibility for membership;
- assess members’ compliance with employment and/or other laws where they undertake government-funded work;
- for market research and product and service development, so that we are able to better understand our members’ needs and tailor our future products and services accordingly;
- in performing general administration, reporting and management functions. For example, invoicing and account management, payment processing, training, quality assurance and managing suppliers;
- for employment-related purposes, such as recruiting and providing services to staff;
- for other purposes related to or in connection with our business, including meeting our legal and contractual obligations to third parties and for internal corporate governance purposes; and
- as required or permitted by law.
We may disclose personal information to:
- people and organisations engaged by us to provide products or services, or to undertake functions or activities, on our behalf. For example, processing payment information, organising events, managing databases, marketing, research and advertising;
- to people and organisations where required to fulfil a service a member has requested us to undertake (e.g. procurement audits);
- our contractors, business partners (e.g. where members would receive a corporate discount), joint venturers, partners or agents; and
- our external advisers, e.g. where disclosure is reasonably required to obtain advice, prepare legal proceedings or investigate suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct.
We may use and disclose individuals’ personal information (other than sensitive information) to provide individuals with information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to the individual. An individual may contact us (see the Contact us page on our website) if they wish to opt out of receiving further marketing offers, via email or otherwise. Direct marketing offers will contain an opportunity to opt out from receiving further communications of this nature.
Master Builders will only use or disclose an individuals sensitive information for the purpose for which it was initially collected (the primary purpose) or for another purpose only with your consent or if required or permitted by law.
However, by agreeing this policy, individuals acknowledge that we will no longer be required to take reasonable steps to ensure overseas recipient’s compliance with the APPs in relation to the individual’s information and we will not be liable to the individual for any breach of the APPs by those overseas recipients.
QUALITY OF INFORMATION
Master Builders will take reasonable steps to ensure that the information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we rely on individuals to advise us of any changes or corrections to the information we hold about the individual. An individual is able to contact us (see Contact us) and ask for the correction of personal information we hold if the individual believes the information we hold is inaccurate or incomplete.
SECURITY OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Master Builders will take reasonable steps to keep personal information protected from loss and misuse and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We use a variety of physical and electronic security measures including locked filing cabinets, off-site secure storage providers, restricted access electronic files, firewalls, appropriate encryption and secure databases.
When personal information that we collect is no longer required, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information. Master Builders may retain personal information indefinitely if it considers that it could be necessary for its future services, functions and activities, to confirm members’ regulatory compliance, or where is otherwise required or permitted to be retained by law.
ACCESS OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
An individual may contact us (see Contact us) to access the personal information that we hold about the individual. We will respond to such a request within a reasonable period after the request is made. There are occasions where this access may be denied under the exemptions contained in the Privacy Act. If we deny access in some circumstances, we will advise the individual about the reasons.
No fee applies for requesting access to information we hold about individuals. However, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee where we do provide access.
CORRECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
An individual may contact us (see Contact us) to correct the personal information that we hold. We will deal with your request within a reasonable period after the request is made. We will take all reasonable steps to correct that information and ensure that, having regard to the purpose for which it is held, the information is accurate, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading.
PSEUDONYMS AND ANONYMITY
Where lawful and practicable, we will give individuals the option of interacting with us anonymously or using a pseudonym.
This policy is publicly available. It will be reviewed from time to time and any amendments will be included in the updated policy.
MAKING A COMPLAINT
HOW TO CONTACT US
For further information contact us at:
Master Builders Association of the ACT
Industrial Relations Department
PO Box 1211
Fyshwick ACT 2609
Phone: 6280 9119
Fax: 6249 8374
ABN: 52 853 376 568